Sunday, August 22, 2010

Vegetable Gargen

A week before Easter, Chris was so wonderful (as he always is) and took a few days to build me a raised garden... so that I could try my hand at gardening. It has been a really fun adventure!
I decided to plant carrots, onions (shallots and red), lettece and butternut squash. In two other side pots I planted strawberries, green beans and peppers. Overall everything has been fairly successful. I did learn, though, that since lettuce grows so fast to plant it in waves... so that I don't have 15 heads of lettece all at once. he he My green beans didn't do as well as I would have liked, but we are reaping the benefits (or soon to be) of everything else. Can't wait for next year!
Chris and the kiddos working hard at building the raised bed:
What we thought would be a couple hour and fairly cheap (under $100) project... didn't turn out to be so. But, isn't that the way it is with all DIY projects?! (when you don't know what you are doing, apparently) We were truly thankful for our neighbor, who used to own his own landscaping company. He stepped in a few times to save us from making major mistakes, lending us tools that didn't know exisited and finally, also helped us install a drip line- which was pheonomal so that I didn't have to water everyday! The finished product with some almost finished produce!

No comments: